School of Diagnostic Medical Sonography
Ultrasonography, commonly called Sonography, is a diagnostic medical procedure that uses high frequency sound waves (ultrasound) to produce dynamic visual images of organs, tissues, or blood flow inside the body. Sonography can be used to examine many parts of the body, such as the abdomen, breasts, female reproductive system, prostrate, heart and blood vessels. Additional education in some specialized areas may be required upon completion of the program.
The process involves placing a small device called a transducer against the patient’s skin near the body part to be imaged. The transducer works like a loudspeaker and microphone because it can both transmit and receive sound. The transducer sends a stream of high frequency sound waves into the body that bounce off the structures inside. The transducer detects sound waves as they bounce off the internal structures. Different structures in the body reflect these sound waves differently. These sounds are analyzed by a computer to make an image.
The School of Diagnostic Medical Sonographygraduates earn a Diploma in DMS (Diagnostic Medical Sonography) from the JFK Muhlenberg Snyder Schools and Associates Degree from the Union County College. We can transfer credits from this program towards the Baccalaureate Program.
Graduates of the JFK Muhlenberg Snyder Schools are eligible to apply and to sit for the credentialing exam by the ARDMS (American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography) and ARRT (American Registry of Radiologic Technologists).
Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program
Currently, the School of Diagnostic Medical Sonography has:
- Day and Full time program with six semesters (2 years)
- It requires a High School Diploma or GED/Adult Diploma
- Total of 80 Credits
- Accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JRCDMS) and Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP).
This program is sponsored by JFK Medical Center, 65 James Street, Edison, NJ 08818
To learn more about the program, visit Explore Our Programs - Diagnostic Medical Sonography.
Some useful links:
- ARDMS (American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers) - www.ardms.org
- ARRT (American Registry of Radiologic Technologists) - www.arrt.org
- SDMS (Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography) - www.sdms.org/learning/resources/educational/so-you-want-to-be-a-sonograher
- CAAHEP (Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs) - www.caahep.org
- Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography - www.jrcdms.org
- The American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine - www.aium.org
- Society of Vascular Ultrasound - www.svunet.org